Research & Teaching
The physicians at Macquarie Respiratory and Sleep are extensively involved in internationally recognised research, and are world renowned in a number of areas.
We publish extensively in high impact peer reviewed journals, and present regularly at national and international scientific meetings. Many of us are also involved on the editorial boards of major journals, and actively contribute or lead consensus statements and documents on guidelines of management of many common respiratory issues and diseases. This include tobacco control, lung cancer, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Our physicians have also been at the forefront of designing and implementing national standards for recognition of competence for common thoracic procedures such as ultrasound and bronchoscopy.
We also supervise and mentor young researchers, providing opportunities for both laboratory and clinical research into areas such as new therapies in Interventional Pulmonology, Airways diseases including Asthma and COPD, Bronchiectasis, Interstitial Lung Disease and Sleep Medicine. We are currently supervising over 8 PhD students, and are also supervising Fellows and Registrars, as well as MD Research Projects for medical students.
We include some of our publications over the last 2 years:
- Hsu K, Williamson J, Peters MJ, Ing AJ. Endoscopic lung volume reduction (ELVR) in COPD: Improvements in gas transfer capacity correlate with improvements in ventilation and perfusion (VQ) matching. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2018 Jan:25(1): 48-53
- Langton D, Ing AJ, Bennetts K, Wang W, Farah CS, Peters MJ, Plummer V, Thien F. Bronchial Thermoplasty reduces gas trapping in Severe Asthma. BMC Pulmonary Medicine (2018) 18:155. doi: 10.1186/s12890-018-0721-6
- Langton D, Ing AJ, Bennetts K, Wang W, Fielding D, Plummer V, Thien F. Bronchodilator responsiveness as a success predictor for bronchial thermoplasty. Respirology (2018) doi: 10.1111/resp.13375
- Langton, D., Ing, A., Sha, J., Bennetts, K., Hersch, N., Kwok, M., Plummer, V., Thien, F. & Farah, C. Measuring the effects of bronchial thermoplasty using oscillometry. Respirology (2018) doi: 10.1111/resp.13439
- Di Michiel J, Pan C, Ing AJ, Saghaie T. Management of recurrent haemoptysis in malignancy with combined TISSEEL and intrabronchial valves. Respirology Case Reports April 2019: 7 (3), 2019, e00406 doi: 10.1002/rcr2.406
- Shelley She, Daniel Steinfort, Paul Leong, Alvin Ing, Jonathan Williamson, Barton Jennings, Tajalli Saghaie. Transbronchial Cryobiopsy in interstitial lung disease diagnosis – a standardised protocol. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2019: In Press
- Yang L, Hsu K, Saghaie T, Williamson JP, Ho-Shon K, and Ing AJ. Changes in ventilation and perfusion following lower lobe Endoscopic Lung Volume Reduction (ELVR) with endobronchial valves in patients with severe COPD. The Clinical Respiratory Journal April 2019. 13(7) DOI: 10.1111/crj.13031
- Langton D, Ing AJ, Fielding D and Thien F. Safety and effectiveness of bronchial thermoplasty when FEV1 less than 50%. CHEST September 2019 DOI: 10.1016/j.chest.2019.08.2193
- Troy LK, Grainge C, Corte T, Williamson JP, Vallely MP et al. and the COLDICE Investigator Team. Cryobiopsy versus open lung biopsy in the diagnosis of interstitial lung disease (COLDICE): protocol of a multicentre study. BMJ Open Respiratory Research. 2019;6:e000443. doi:10.1136/bmjresp-2019-000443.
- Ing AJ, Hersch N, Sullivan C, Saghaie T, Williamson J. Reversal of Collateral Ventilation using endobronchial polymer sealant in a patient with emphysema undergoing Endoscopic Lung Volume Reduction (ELVR) with valves: a case report and proof of concept. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2019: In Press
- Troy L, Grainge C, Corte TJ.. Williamson J…. Lau E. Diagnostic accuracy of transbronchial lung cryobiopsy for interstitial lung disease diagnosis (COLDICE): a prospective, comparative study. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine: September 2019 DOI: 10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30342-X.
- Taylor SL, Leong LEX, Choo JM, Wesselingh S, Yang IA, Upham JW, Reynolds PN, Hodge S, James AL, Jenkins C, Peters MJ, Baraket M, Marks GB, Gibson PG, Simpson JL, Rogers GB. Inflammatory phenotypes in patients with severe asthma are associated with distinct airway microbiology. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018; S0091-6749(17)30743-1
- Peters MJ. E-cigarettes and airways’ disease: Behind the smokescreen. Respirology. 2018 Jan;23(1):14-15
- Peters MJ. E-cigarettes unlikely to raise significant health concerns in airways disease – Reply. Respirology. 2018 Jan 9. doi: 10.1111/resp.13255.
- Peters MJ. Electronic cigarettes: adolescent health and wellbeing. Lancet. 2018 Aug 11;392(10146):473-474.
- Mitchell AB, Mourad B, Buddle L, Peters MJ, Oliver BGG, Morgan LC. Viruses in bronchiectasis: a pilot study to explore the presence of community acquired respiratory viruses in stable patients and during acute exacerbations. BMC Pulm Med. 2018 May 22;18(1):84.
- Seccombe LM, Buddle L, Brannan JD, Peters MJ, Farah CS. Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction with Firefighting Contained Breathing Apparatus. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018 Feb;50(2):327-333
- Hiles SA, Harvey ES, McDonald VM, Peters M, Bardin P, Reynolds PN, Upham JW, Baraket M, Bhikoo Z, Bowden J, Brockway B, Chung LP, Cochrane B, Foxley G, Garrett J, Hew M, Jayaram L, Jenkins C, Katelaris C, Katsoulotos G, Koh MS, Kritikos V, Lambert M, Langton D,
- Lara Rivero A, Marks GB, Middleton PG, Nanguzgambo A, Radhakrishna N, Reddel H, Rimmer J, Southcott AM, Sutherland M, Thien F, Wark PAB, Yang IA, Yap E, Gibson PG. Working while unwell: Workplace impairment in people with severe asthma. Clin Exp Allergy. 2018 Jun;48(6):650-662
- Bulathsinhala L, Eleangovan N, Heaney LG, Menzies-Gow A, Gibson PG, Peters M, Hew M, van Boven JFM, Lehtimäki L, van Ganse E, Belhassen M, Harvey ES, Perez de Llano L, Maitland-van der Zee AH, Papadopoulos NG, FitzGerald JM, Porsbjerg C, Canonica GW, Backer V, Rhee CK, Verhamme KMC, Buhl R, Cosio BG, Carter V, Price C, Le T, Stagno d’Alcontres M, Gopalan G, Tran TN, Price D. Development of the International Severe Asthma Registry (ISAR): A Modified Delphi Study. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2018 Sep 1. pii: S2213-2198(18)30552-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2018.08.016.
- Santos C, Gupta S, Baraket M, Collett PJ, Xuan W, Williamson JP. Outcomes of an initiative to improve patient safety of small bore thoracostomy tube insertion. Internal Medicine Journal. 2019: 49(5):644-649
- Zajaczkowska M, Johnson A, Gallur L, Shin J, Henderson C, Williamson J. Transbronchial lung cryobiopsy: a novel confirmatory tool to diagnose asbestos related pulmonary fibrosis. P. Respirology Case Reports. 2018; 7 (1):e00380. doi: 10.1002/rcr2.380
- Shafiee S, Adno A, French B, Johansson C, Frankel A, Williamson JP. Central airway obstruction caused by adenoid cystic carcinoma in pregnancy: a case report and review of the literature. Respirology Case Reports. 2018; 6 (5):e00317. doi: 10.1002/rcr2.317
- Sivakumar S, McNally A, Tobin J, Williamson JP, Aneman AA. An observational cohort study of outcomes in patients admitted to the intensive care unit for acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Internal Medicine Journal. 2018; 48(8): 944-950
- Morgan L et al. CF derived scoring systems do not fully describe the range of structural changes seen on CT scans in PCD. Pediatric Pulmonology. accepted December 2018 Article ID: PPUL24249.Article DOI: 10.1002/ppul.24249 Internal Article ID: 16268423:
- Morgan L et al. Amikacin Liposome Inhalation Suspension for Treatment-Refractory Lung Disease Caused by Mycobacterium avium Complex” accepted for publication in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (AJRCCM) September 2018 201807-1318OC.R1
- Alicia B. Mitchell, Bassel Mourad, Lucy C. Morgan, Brian G.G. Oliver, Allan R. Glanville, Transplanting the pulmonary virome: Dynamics of transient populations The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplant September 2018 Volume 37, Issue 9, p1043-1144
- Simone K Visser, Peter Bye and Lucy Morgan. Management of bronchiectasis in adults. Med J Aust 2018; 209 (4): 177-183
- AMERICAN THORACIC SOCIETY DOCUMENTS Diagnosis of Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia An Official American Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline Adam J. Shapiro, Stephanie D. Davis, Deepika Polineni, Michele Manion, Margaret Rosenfeld, Sharon D. Dell, Mark A. Chilvers, Thomas W. Ferkol, Maimoona A. Zariwala, Scott D. Sagel, Maureen Josephson, Lucy Morgan, Ozge Yilmaz, Kenneth N. Olivier, Carlos Milla, Jessica E. Pittman, M. Leigh Anne Daniels, Marcus Herbert Jones, Ibrahim A. Janahi, Stephanie M. Ware, Sam J. Daniel, Matthew L. Cooper, Lawrence M. Nogee, Billy Anton, Tori Eastvold, Lynn Ehrne, Elena Guadagno, Michael R. Knowles, Margaret W. Leigh, and Valery Lavergne; on behalf of the American Thoracic Society Assembly on Pediatrics THIS OFFICIAL CLINICAL PRACTICE GUIDELINE OF THE AMERICAN THORACIC SOCIETY WAS APPROVED MAY 201
- Abbott A, Morgan L. Five steps to reducing risk in community-acquired pneumonia. Respiratory Medicine Today 2018; 2018; 3(1): 29-32
- Florian S. Halbeisen, Myrofora Goutaki, Ben D. Spycher, Israel Amirav, Laura Behan, Mieke Boon, Claire Hogg, Carmen Casaulta, Suzanne Crowley, Eric G. Haarman, Bulent Karadag, Cordula Koerner-Rettberg, Michael R. Loebinger, Henryk Mazurek, Lucy Morgan, Kim,G. Nielsen, Heymut Omran, Francesca Santamaria, Nicolaus Schwerk, Guillaume Thouvenin, Panayiotis Yiallouros, Jane S. Lucas, Philipp Latzin, Claudia E. Kuehni. Lung function in patients with primary ciliary dyskinesia: an iPCD Cohort study. European Respiratory Journal 2018 52: 1801040; DOI: 10.1183/13993003.01040-2018
- onga KO, Berend N, Thamrin C, Farah CS, Jetmalani K, Chapman DG, King GG. Lung elastic recoil and ventilation heterogeneity of diffusion-dependent airways in older people with asthma and fixed airflow obstruction. Eur Respir J 2018; in press.
- Tonga KO, King GG, Farah CS, Thamrin C, Tang FS, Santos J, Sharma P, Chapman DG, Oliver BG. Steroid insensitive fixed airflow obstruction is not related to airway inflammation in older non-smokers with asthma. Respiratory Research 2018; in press.
- Faiz A, Weckmann M, Vermeulen CJ, Van den Berge M, ten Hacken NHT, Halayko AJ, Ward JPT, Lee TH, Black JL, Xu CJ, King GG, Farah CS, Oliver BG, Heijink IH, Burgess JK. Profiling of healthy and asthmatic ASMC following IL-1β treatment: a novel role for CCL20 in chronic mucus hyper-secretion. Eur Respir J 2018; 52: 1800310
- Milne S, Hammans C, Watson S, Farah CS, Thamrin C, King GG. Bronchodilator responses in respiratory impedance, hyperinflation and gas trapping in COPD. Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2018; DOI: 10.1080/15412555.2018.1458217
- Seccombe LM, Buddle L, Brannan JD, Peters MJ, Farah CS. Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction with firefighting contained breathing apparatus. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2018; 50: 327-333
- Khoo C, Gilchrist J, Williamson JP, Paul M, Kefford R. Pneumocystis jirovecii in a patient on dose-dense chemotherapy for early breast cancer. Respirology Case Reports. 2019 Jul 5;7(7):e00459.
- Seccombe LM, Peters MJ, Buddle L,Farah CS . Exercise induced bronchoconstriction identified using the forced oscillation technique. Frontiers in Physiology 2019. In press.
- Tonga KO, Chapman DG, Farah CS, Oliver BG, Zimmermann SC, Milne S, Sanai F, Jetmalani K, Berend N, Thamrin C, King GG. Contribution of reduced lung elastic recoil to fixed airflow obstruction in asthma. Respirology 2019. Accepted
- Seccombe LM, Peters MJ, Farah CS. Exertion during a hypoxia altitude simulation test helps identify potential cardiac decompensation. Respirology Case Reports 2019. DOI: 10.1002/rcr2.450.
- Farah CS. Airways wide shut: A physiological phenotype of asthma? Respirology 2019. DOI: 10.1111/resp.13533
- Milne S, Jetmalani K, Chapman DG, Duncan JM, Farah CS, Thamrin C, King GG. Respiratory system reactance reflects communicating lung volume in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Appl Phys 2019. DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00503.2018
- Farah CS, Badal T, Reed N, Rogers PG, King GG, Thamrin C, Peters MJ, Seccombe LM. Mepolizumab improves small airway function in severe eosinophilic asthma. Respir Med 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.rmed.2019.01.016
- Tonga KO, Berend N, Thamrin C, Farah CS, Jetmalani K, Chapman DG, King GG. Lung elastic recoil and ventilation heterogeneity of diffusion-dependent airways in older people with asthma and fixed airflow obstruction. Eur Respir J 2019. DOI: 10.1183/13993003.01028-2018
- Shafiq M, Sethi J, Ali MS, Ghori UK, Saghaie T, Folch E.Pleural Cryobiopsy – A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Chest. 2019 Oct 11. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2019.09.023.